The origin of the painting is largely unknown. Was it painted by BFC art students? Was it a local artist rendering? Was it apart of the original gym? No one knows for sure, but it has been in the gym for many years. When the gym floor was being done this past summer, some conversation arose about whether to paint over the old Venture Man. This sparked a question: Is Venture-Man a part of BFC’s team history? Or does it belong in history?
In recent years, the BFC gym has been completely redone. Some people believe that the Venture-Man illustration is outdated and that it doesn’t match the newly renovated facilities. Others believe that the painting represents a historical aspect of the building before the various changes that were made to it.
Recently BFC students were given a chance to weigh in on the debate. A survey was sent out to all current BFC students via email. The students were asked this question: Is it part of the past or does it belong in the past? Out of the 105 people that responded, 57.1 percent said they like the painting. The other 42.9 percent believe that the illustration has seen its time and does not belong in the gym anymore.
It seems as if the BFC students appreciate history. Of the students that voted, the majority expressed their desire to keep the painting. Perhaps the image of the Venture Man represents more than a mascot for BFC students. It represents a sign of who they are and an important component of the school’s history and identity.